Disneyland Paris has confirmed that Cast Members will continue to receive their salaries up to and including 19 April 2020.
From the 20 April 2020, Euro Disney SCA will cease paying the wages of its 6,500 Cast Members. The move will make Cast Members furloughed, and will enable them to apply for financial assistance from the French government in the form of unemployment benefit.
Following the global closure of all Disney’s theme parks, the company has turned to the bond markets in both the United States and Canada for financial support to the value of $7.3 billion to sure up its balance sheet.
Analysts are predicting that The Walt Disney Company could make a loss of around $4.3 billion if the global Disney theme park shut down continues.
The owners and operators of Disneyland Paris – Euro Disney SCA have informed the French Democratic Confederation of Labour (CFDT) that Disneyland Paris Cast Members will be made ‘Partially Unemployed’ from 1 April 2020 to 31 May 2020 due to the closure of the resort because of the Coronavirus COVID-19 pandemic.
During the furloughing period Cast Members will be entitled to receive unemployment benefits from the French state.
Management has made it clear to the CFDT, which is one of the largest trade unions at Disneyland Paris that the duration of the ‘partial unemployment’ can be shortened if the health situation in France improves and the government lifts its COVID-19 preventive restrictions.
Disney+ will not be launching in France tomorrow (24th March 2020) at the request of the French government.
Disney’s new streaming service has now been pushed back to launch in France on 7th April 2020. Disney+ will still launch in the UK, Germany, Spain, and Italy on 24th March 2020.
The reason for the delay is to protect the French internet services from overloading. With many people working from home, it is putting an extreme strain on the country’s broadband networks.
In a statement, Kevin Mayer, Chairman of Direct-to-Consumer & International at the Walt Disney Company said, “In anticipation of high consumer demand for Disney+, we are proactively instituting measures to lower our overall bandwidth utilization by at least 25% in all of the markets launching Disney+ on March 24th.”
He continued: “To our French fans, the Disney+ service is coming, but at the request of the French government, we have agreed to postpone the launch until Tuesday, 7 April 2020.”
The Disney+ launch has also been delayed in India where it was scheduled to launch as part of “Disney+ Hotstar” on 29th March 2020, but has been postponed to a later date.
German restaurant chain Vapiano SE who have a restaurant in the Disney Village at Disneyland Paris announced today (Friday 20 March 2020) that it was insolvent and would apply for government assistance to avoid formally filing for insolvency, blaming the coronavirus crisis for a drop in sales.
Under German insolvency law, management has three weeks to evaluate whether full insolvency proceedings can still be averted.
“Due to the drastic decline in net sales and revenues, an insolvency reason in the form of cash flow insolvency for Vapiano SE has occurred as of today,” the company said.
Vapiano’s 55 German restaurants were closed yesterday evening, and almost all of the chain’s more than 230 outlets are now closed, the restaurant chain said in a regulatory statement.
With the launch of The Walt Disney Company’s new streaming service ‘Disney+‘ in just three days time on Monday 24 March 2020, Internet Service Providers in the United Kingdom are bracing themselves for unprecedented demand on their broadband networks. 82122
With some ISPs networks already experiencing capacity issues due to the highest number of home workers logging into their employers systems in history. ISPs are anticipating extremely high demand on Monday when Disney+ launches especially since the closure of nurseries, preschools, schools, collages and universities was announced by the Government earlier this week.
Netflix and YouTube, two of the world’s largest online video streaming services, are both taking the unprecedented step of reducing picture quality in Europe to ease pressure on broadband networks.
The two internet companies are responding to calls by the European Commission and some European telecoms companies to prevent internet congestion, as more people work and take classes at home during the coronavirus pandemic.
“We are making a commitment to temporarily default all traffic in the EU to standard definition,” YouTube said on Friday.
Hours earlier, Netflix said that “given the extraordinary challenges raised by the coronavirus”, it would temporarily throttle its data throughput too, meaning that some viewers would see a degradation in picture quality, in the hopes of reducing its traffic by a quarter.
With educational establishments closed for the foreseeable future, network technicians are working around the clock to ensure their broadband networks can cope with the anticipated demand, which could result in congestion, contention and dropouts across their networks.
Last week, Telecom Italia reported a 70% surge in internet traffic over its network as Italy went into lockdown, saying a “big contribution” came from online games such as Fortnite. Spanish telecoms operators have warned of a “traffic explosion”.
The unprecedented demand for streaming services to curtail their bandwidth usage is a sign of how concerned the authorities are that broadband networks will quickly become overloaded, as millions of office workers and school children turn to live video streaming at home.
The UK Internet Service Providers Association is in early talks with the Government about the possibility of introducing additional support measures during the COVID-19 pandemic, which could possibly include giving consumers free broadband.
It is unclear at this time if Disney+ will follow their counterparts and launch with a reduced standard definition service on Monday to reduce demand on the UKs broadband networks.
Disneyland Paris is asking Guests not to telephone them at present due to the regions telephone exchange being overwhelmed.
The extremely large volume of telephone calls Disneyland Paris is receiving, following the restorts unpresidented shut down due to the Coronavirus COVID-19 pandemic is causing severe interference to the regions emergency 112 telephone service.
112 is the equivalent of the 999 service in the United Kingdom and 911 in the United States.
Disneyland Paris issued the following plea on their website asking Guests to delay telephoning them until next week due to the interference being caused to the regions telephone services.
We are experiencing an extraordinary high volume of calls. The call volume is interfering with critical emergency calls in our region.
We are therefore asking you to delay calls to next week, even if your stay was planned to start in the next few days.
Please be assured that we will address each and every one of your bookings/requests.
Following instructions received from the French authorities Parc Disneyland and the Walt Disney Studios Park have immediately ceased operations.
The two Disney theme parks will now not re-open to Guests this weekend as previously announced and the resort has issued the following statement:
“Based on updated direction from French authorities, the temporary closure of Disneyland and Walt Disney Studios Parks will begin Saturday, March 14 through the end of the month.
The Disney Hotels and the retail and dining complexes of Disney Village will remain open until further notice.
If you hold a reservation at a Disney Hotel for arrivals until June 1, 2020, we have waived all modification and cancellation fees until April 15th and we are offering you the same price if you wish to postpone your stay through Oct 15th 2020 (excluding transportation).
We anticipate heavy call volume over the next several days and appreciate your patience as we work hard to respond to all inquiries”.
Disneyland Paris has published the following updated statement following yesterdays announcement by the Walt Disney Company that due to the COVID-19 Coronavirus pandemic all Disney theme parks worldwide will temporarily close from 16 March 2020 until 31 March 2020.
In an abundance of caution and in the best interest of our Guests and Cast Members, we are proceeding with the closure of Disneyland Paris, beginning at the end of business on Sunday, March 15, through the end of the month.
The Disney Hotels will remain open until further notice to give Guests the ability to make necessary travel arrangements. The retail and dining complexes of Disney Village will remain open.
If you hold a reservation at a Disney Hotel for arrivals until June 1, 2020, we have waived all modification and cancellation fees until April 15th and we are offering you the same price if you wish to postpone your stay through Oct 15th 2020 (excluding transportation)
We anticipate heavy call volume over the next several days and appreciate your patience as we work hard to respond to all inquiries.
In an unprecedented move the Walt Disney Company has announced the temporary closure of their theme parks at Disneyland Paris and the Walt Disney World Resort in Florida due to the worldwide COVID-19 coronavirus pandemic.
Both resorts will close from the end of business on Sunday 15 March 2020 until the end of March.
Hotels at both resorts will remain open until further notice along with their respective retail and dining complexes.
The Disney Cruise Line will suspend all cruises from Saturday 14 March 2020 until the end of March.
From Monday, all Disney theme parks worldwide will be closed simultaneously for the first time in history.